My Manuscript Wish List®
Katie Hoffman, editor, joined DAW Books in 2012. Prior to joining DAW, she worked at Soho Press, University Book Store in Seattle, and Amazon. She has worked on books from K. Eason, Suzanne Palmer, Sarah Kuhn, and others. She likes stories with inclusive worldbuilding, compelling examinations of ideas, and a lot of heart. You can find her on Twitter at @kehoffman_ and Instagram at @ke_hoffman.
What I’m looking for:
I am actively seeking new works of science fiction and fantasy written by and/or featuring people of color, Native people, disabled people, neurodiverse people, LGBTQIA+ people, and those from other underrepresented or marginalized communities. I am eager to cultivate a list that is inclusive and representative of a wide array of voices.
Some of my favorite subgenres and tropes include:
- smart, character-driven stories with heart, whether expansive epic fantasy
- thoughtful science fiction, especially if they tackle sociopolitical issues or radically challenge inherited systems
- found or chosen families that make me ache with joy or fierce hope
- stories interrogating bodies, identity, and transhumanism
- fun, quirky adventures that are simultaneously subversive
- sci-fi and fantasy that highlights how system mechanics affect people and provide compelling commentary
- atypical heroes, whether in body, age, social standing, or other, less foreseen ways
- high-concept narratives exploring esoteric questions or experimenting with genre forms
- internal or introspective protagonists and, sometimes relatedly, quiet stories that recognize not all plots need explosions and world-ending threats
In particular, I’d love to see works of indigenous futurism, tales involving queerness, especially across the asexual spectrum, and speculative stories that incorporate Deaf community and culture.
My favorite recent reads include: An Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon, Black Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse, The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
Fun facts about me:
- I co-own two cats, Eärendil the Mariner (aka Ren) and Sokka
- I’m currently the DM or player in multiple D&D games
- I’m a fandom lurker, lover of fic, fan art, and character playlists
Submissions should be emailed to email@example.com
I cannot consider short story collections or YA.
If you are an literary agent, please reach out to me via my email address. I’m excited to discuss sff manuscripts with you!
DAW is not currently accepting unsolicited submission. Please follow DAW social media to be updated on changes to that policy.