Laura Dail Literary Agency
My Manuscript Wish List®
In all genres I prioritize diversity and marginalized voices. In general I am looking for a clear, distinct voice and a unique hook.
- ADULT ROM-COM:
- Main characters in their 20-30s exploring the beginning of their adult life (roommates, first jobs, exploring new cities etc.)
- Flipping classic tropes on their heads (grumpy/sunshine, hate to love, forced proximity).
- Unique voices that stick with you and address real things like disability/mental health/race/class.
- Spice encouraged.
- ADULT ROMANCE:
- high concept, high stakes, commercial (international settings, celebrities, family series, sports, fake dating, enemies-to-lovers).
- Spice encouraged (again lol.)
- NO large age gap (10+ years), incest, or mafia.
- MIDDLE GRADE: Adventurous, whimsical fantasy.
- ADULT NON-FICTION:
- drugs, disability, sex and sexuality, modern dating, nature, cults, pop science, and pop culture.
- ADULT HORROR:
- off-kilter and female-led
- unreliable narrators
- paranormal or not
- NO explicit rape, child abuse, or animal abuse.
- ADULT THRILLERS:
- led by victims and anyone not in the government.
- international settings
- NOT a fan of romance/thriller crossover, spy thrillers, or military thrillers.
- ADULT COZY MYSTERY:
- multiple POVs
- uncommon settings
- YA FANTASY:
- female friendships, swoony romance, morally grey characters, found family.
- uncommon myth retellings or fantasy worlds inspired by underrepresented cultures.
- Series and standalone both welcome.
- Fresh takes on old beasts and monsters (vampires, fey, werewolves)
- intricate and clear worldbuilding and character development. unique magic systems.
I am NOT a good fit for and do not represent magical realism, picture books, cookbooks, historical fiction, literary fiction, essay collections, memoirs, political thrillers, poetry, or sci-fi!
Fun facts about me:
I have a cat named Salami and she helps me go through my queries. She’s very severe.
I love hiking, re-watching the same movies over and over, and matcha lattes. I am proudly queer and have ADHD.
Please submit only through the QueryManager link provided. I do not accept submissions through email, Twitter, Instagram, phone call, or snail mail. Thanks!