Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
My Manuscript Wish List®
My name is Crystal Castro and I am an editorial assistant at Little, Brown Books for Young readers. I am so excited to be considering YA and MG fiction titles for my list! Below is an ever-evolving outline of things I’d like to see in my inbox.
I am actively seeking:
ACROSS ALL AGE GROUPS:
- Character-driven narratives
- Thrillers, mysteries, horror, fantasy, adventure
- Debut projects from BIPOC authors.
- Voicey manuscripts– I want to get a sense of the main character’s personality from the very first page!
- Anything that feels dark and feminist. Give me girls who are angry, vengeful, and powerful. If you have something with a Bunny by Mona Awad (from the Bunnies POV), The Craft, girl-squad-that-eats-people vibe, I want it.
- Books about cults/cult-like groups. Bonus for dark academia vibes (think The Secret History by Donna Tartt or We Were Villians by M.L Rio, but with a punchy YA voice).
- Books about mermaids/sirens/pirates.
- Humorous stories about middle-grade issues (puberty, friend breakups, etc.)
- Fantasy & adventure, especially if there is some sort of school/academy element
- Quippy narrators (think Lemony Snicket!)
Things I love:
- The ocean. Storms.
- Coastal aesthetics (dark and light).
- Nature as character.
- Books that take place in a short period of time (1 day to 1 week).
- Seeing the same event from multiple POVs.
- Short chapters.
- Books with BIPOC narrators that aren’t about being BIPOC.
I am NOT looking for:
- Adult manuscripts. I work at a children’s publisher and I am unable to consider projects for adult audiences (yes, even if they’re really good).
- Picture books.
- Unagented submissions.
- Novels in verse.
- Books with racism plot lines.