HarperCollins Children's Books
My Manuscript Wish List®
I’m looking to acquire middle grade and young adult fiction, as well as graphic novels. My interests cover a variety of genres, including but not limited to contemporary, romance, fantasy, historical fiction, magical realism, and adventure/action stories. But as long as a manuscript has a strong voice, I’m always willing to give the submission a read.
I always enjoy stories with found families, coming-of-age themes, unbreakable friendships, witty narrators, found families, and strong worldbuilding. But I have a special place in my heart for Latinx and queer stories, and overall, I’m always especially interested in seeing Own Voices stories. I would love to acquire titles that reflect the diverse world around us and would allow readers to feel seen in the books they read.
I would love to see the following in my inbox:
- MG or YA adventure/fantasy/magical realism story inspired by non-Western traditions, folklore, and myths
- A queer and/or POC rom-com
- Sisterhood of Traveling Pants inspired friendship story with an all queer and/or POC cast of characters
- A contemporary YA or MG that engages with the experience of being first generation
- A subversive YA about the Catholic school experience
- Multigenerational POC family stories, think One Day at a Time, Blackish, or Fresh off the Boat
- Broad City for teens
- MG that deals with puberty in a humorous way, similar in spirit to Netflix’s Big Mouth
- MG about mental health issues
- YA with strong themes of intersectional feminism
- MG or YA found family stories, a la Steven Universe
- MG or YA horror story featuring non-Western monster lore
- MG or YA historical fiction focused on non-Western cultural turning points
- MG or YA insider/outsider story about returning to an ancestral home
- YA reimagining/retellings of anything in the Jane Austen canon
- MG with strong queer themes, think Lumberjanes, The Backstagers, The Witch Boy, or The Cardboard Kingdom
- YA about girls rebelling against patriarchal systems, think Mad Max: Fury Road but for teens
- Contemporary MG or YA set in non-Western countries, centered around characters who are native to the location
- MG or YA that deals critically with the often ignored, darker parts of American history like American imperialism or the Trail of Tears
- MG or YA own voices projects starring genderqueer, non-binary, and trans protags. I’m especially trying to get more transmasc representation out there
- Diverse Regency, Gregorian, and Victorian YA
- In general though, any POC authors take on vampires, werewolves, sirens, witches, and any manner of myth/supernatural always interests me
- Latinx fútbol-centric stories and if there’s a queer romance subplot thrown in all the better
- I did my college honors thesis on Japanese American literature on internment and I would love to see any projects that engage with this part of history from an own voices creator
- If something has “already been done” but it’s never been done with characters who hail from marginalized backgrounds, I want to read it
*Anything listed above also applies to a graphic novel format!
Unfortunately, HarperCollins doesn’t accept unagented submissions.
Agents, please email your pitch and the manuscript to me at HarperCollins.