L. Perkins Agency
My Manuscript Wish List®
I’m looking for books that remind me of what it was like to be enveloped by a story when I was a kid. I’m looking for authors who have the ability to give me a visual experience, whether it’s through good prose, lively characters, stunning scenery, or actual illustrations.
I’m particularly on the lookout for exceptional author-illustrators for MG and YA.
A few books that hooked me on reading when I was a kid: Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Fablehaven, The Giver, Hatchet, Flipped, Eragon, Ender’s Game, and others. My tastes have evolved since then, and even though some of these books are better than others, there was something about all of them that drew me in and made me love them at the time. And that’s what I want to see: something appealing that will draw me (/children) into a book and make me (/them) love it.
I want authors who have put in the time (read: blood, sweat, and tears) learning how to write well. This means that if you’re trying to get me to read the first book you’ve ever written, I’ll likely pass on it. Most authors spend years honing their craft before selling their first book. Also, on that note, please don’t send me a first draft. Take your time and polish your work before submitting it.
If you think your book is the right fit for me, I really look forward to reading about it!
Fun facts about me:
In college I was in a Wizard Rock (Wrock) band called Percy and the Prefects. Yes, we made up songs about Harry Potter and other various characters. I played the role of Cedric Diggory. And no, I am not at all ashamed of this.
I also make video games in my spare time, and write a little on the side as well.
Submissions should be emailed to email@example.com
These are the general L. Perkins Agency guidelines. However, when submitting to me, please also include “Query” in the subject of your email.
– A brief synopsis
– Your bio
– The first five (5) pages from your novel or book proposal in the body of your email.
KEEP IN MIND:
– Attachments will not be opened unless specifically requested.
– We only accept email queries. We do not accept queries by snail mail, phone, or social media. All snail mail queries will be discarded unopened
– We will only consider one manuscript from one writer at a time to one agent at a time. If you have written more than one manuscript, choose the one you think is the most promising and pitch that to us. Do not pitch them all.
– We have a strict NO MULTIPLE SUBMISSIONS policy within the agency, so please be sure to only submit to one of us. (Though simultaneous submissions to other agencies are expected.) We work together closely, often passing projects along to other members of the team. If your query is sent to more than one of us, it may be deleted without a response. For information about our agents’ individual interests, query guidelines, and contact information, please see our Agents.
– If you have a vigilant spam filter, please turn it off. If we send an email requesting additional material and receive an automatic response asking us to fill out a form in order to send an email to you, your query will be automatically discarded.
– We do NOT represent screenplays, short story collections or poetry.